Friday, June 25, 2010

A few sputters and stutters into the night...

So I made it to Viña del Mar, Chile! Que lindo! This is one of the most beautiful cities that i have ever been in! It kind of reminds me of the california coast, but better. All of the houses here are different colors, there are quaint restaurants tucked in every corner, apartments are in the hills overlooking the beautiful ocean, and the streets are full of the hustle and bustle of chilean flair. Unfortunately and most upsetting is that I can't find my usb cord for my camera... so I can't upload any of the pictures right now. I'm going to try and buy one though because I can't really explain it in words, you just have to see it for yourself.

Today was a huge world cup match... Chile vs Spain. So of course every single person was proudly supporting their country by walking around the whole city making all the noise in the world, dressed in Chilean colors, and had the Chilean flags literally everywhere... painted on bodies, hanging out of windows, attached to cars, used as clothing... you name it there it was. The businesses closed down during the game because every Chilean was watching it. I was in my first taco, which is Chilean for traffic jam. Sadly Chile lost, but despite this loss the celebrating went on far into the night.

Today I realized how horrible my spanish is. It's the most hilarious thing watching us converse! It was mostly "que?" "como?" "lo siento... no intiendo!" "ahhh, que significa...?" along with body language explaining things for the first few hours. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it though, I sat around the table tonight just talking and exchanging culutural information with the family. The sons speak a little english, so it helps when they're trying to explain something to me. The family is so nice, I don't even feel nervous around them anymore. I guess it's because we eventually understand eachother no matter how long it takes to get the point across haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always tickled when you leave me a comment or two :)

Estoy aprendiendo Español, pero no soy perfecta! Por favor, me corrija cuando se ve unos errores :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...