Saturday, December 17, 2011

De-mythicizing the Egg

Source: [That's all Folks!]

As a recent vegan, I have been experimenting with a lot of new recipes.  I have had a lot of success but honestly, there are so many foods that I miss!! Mainly in the baked goods category... cookies, muffins, banana bread... basic southern love. They were a frequent part of my diet and they remain a constant temptation.

So due to my mom's teasing and my love of baked goods, I went in search of the truth about how to replace eggs in baking. Click the link below to see the results of my search!



First of all, when substituting eggs, you have to figure out what result you want to replace.  Are you trying to replace an egg, the yolk, or the egg white?  This is important because you will need to use different substitutes depending on what you are replacing.

Are you trying to replace the egg white? Use 1/4 cup of whipped tofu (tofu is a curd made from mashed soybeans).

Are you trying to replace the egg yolk (binding properties for foods such as quiches)? Sprinkle 2-3 Tsb ground flax seed per egg into the mix, do not add extra water.

Are you trying to replace the moisture? Use 1 mashed bananas per egg or 1/4 cup of applesauce/puree.

Then of course there is the straight-up egg-substitute that you can find at the grocery store. 

If you want to make pancakes or waffles without eggs, just add extra liquid such as soymilk or almond milk.

I hope this helped you, now I'm off to bake banana bread with extra bananas instead of eggs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always tickled when you leave me a comment or two :)

Estoy aprendiendo Español, pero no soy perfecta! Por favor, me corrija cuando se ve unos errores :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...